Iraq War claims second Scot

HeadLine: IRAQ WAR CLAIMS SECOND SCOT

The Mirror, 24/04/2003
by SIOBHAN McFADYEN & SHAUN MILNE

A DEVASTATED family spoke of their tragic “depth of grief” last night
as the war in Iraq claimed the life of a second Scots soldier.
Defence chiefs yesterday revealed 25-year-old Alexander Tweedie died
from serious head wounds after a Gulf mission went wrong.
Lieutenant Tweedie’s Scimitar light-armoured vehicle plunged into a
canal when it overturned on the crumbling bank.
He was pulled from the wreckage and treated on the spot before being
evacuated back to the UK.
The newly promoted officer was being treated at Edinburgh Royal
Infirmary Hospital when he died.
Yesterday, parents Gavin and Philippa said in a statement: “Alexander’s
death has shocked and saddened us greatly and words cannot adequately
express the depth of our grief.
“He was a wonderful, loving son who brightened the lives of everyone
who knew him. He was a brave young hero whose life was tragically cut
short while serving his country.
“We are proud of Alexander and will remember him in our hearts forever.”
The couple were being comforted by family at their cottage on the
outskirts of Minto, near Hawick, Roxburghshire.
Lt Tweedie’s brother Esmond spoke for tearful mum Philippa, saying:
“Alex’s death is a terrible blow to the family. We just need time to
grieve.”
Saddened residents in Minto yesterday said Alexander has followed his
father by joining the Army.
And one said: “They are a lovely family and this is horrible news.”
Lt Tweedie – serving with the the Blues & Royals (Household Cavalry) –
was the 32nd soldier to die in the war in Iraq.
News of his death earlier this week emerged as his regiment held a
memorial service for Lance Corporal Karl Shearer, who died in the same
April 1 tragedy.
Both had been under the water for 10 minutes before being pulled the
canal bank.
The first Scot killed in action – 31-year-old Lance Corporal Barry
Stephen, of the Black Watch – was laid to rest in a full military
funeral in Perth on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, the bodies of Staff Sergeant Simon Cullingworth, 36, and
Sapper Luke Allsopp, 24, will be flown to the UK on Friday, after their
remains were found in a shallow grave.

**

Advertisements


Categories: Daily Mirror articles

Leave a comment?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: